During a TV interview Tuesday morning, Trump--who spent his high school years enrolled at the New York Military Academy--said, “I actually got lucky because I had a very high draft number. I’ll never forget, that was an amazing period of time in my life.”
He went on to recall, “I was going to the Wharton School of Finance, and I was watching as they did the draft numbers and I got a very, very high number and those numbers never got up to.” The word “deferment” was not mentioned by Trump during his chat with the morning show hosts on WNYW, the Fox affiliate in New York City.
However, Selective Service records reveal that Trump, the fortunate son of a multimillionaire real estate baron, took repeated steps to avoid serving in Vietnam.
By the time his number (356) was drawn during the December 1, 1969 draft lottery, Trump had already received four student deferments and a medical deferment, according to military records on file with the National Archives and Records Administration. An extract of Trump’s Selective Classification record, seen here, was provided in response to a TSG records request.
Wal-Mart's core shoppers are running out of money much faster than a year ago due to rising gasoline prices, and the retail giant is worried, CEO Mike Duke said Wednesday.
"We're seeing core consumers under a lot of pressure," Duke said at an event in New York. "There's no doubt that rising fuel prices are having an impact."
If this goes on, Wal-Mart could be faced with either cutting hours and laying off employees. That too will add to our economic doom and gloom. It’s just a shame that our leaders in Washington, on both sides of the aisle, are to worried about petty crap and not focused on jobs or rising costs.
Yesterday’s outbreak of tornados that ripped through the south and left 173 people dead, with more deaths expected, is being called one of the deadliest outbreaks in American history. You wouldn’t know this though listening to MSNBC or FOX. Instead they are focused on other issues, like the royal wedding and the birth certificate.
We have large towns in ruins, lives destroyed and millions, if not billions, of dollars in damage and our cable news doesn’t give a damn. This is a disgrace.
What’s even worse is while working on this post and having Morning Joe on, Joe Scarborough was talking about how the media is ignoring things like Afghanistan and then said if the President would stop talking about the birther issue then people might move on. Does Joe realize that he is part of the media? Does he also realize that the President addressed it once, yesterday, and that was only after the media spent the past several weeks fixated on the issue? You do realize that you are part of the media – don’t you?
But why would the media take any responsibility at all? Yesterday the President even called out the media for their obsession with the birther stuff and that upset Jake Tapper:
Bob Schieffer, far from being some member of the “liberal media”, tonight accused Trump’s assertion of bordering on racism:
Donald Trump has moved on from the "birther" conspiracy to allege President Barack Obama didn't get good enough grades to warrant entry to Harvard Law School, an assertion that CBS News chief Washington correspondent Bob Schieffer called absurd on the "CBS Evening News" on Wednesday.
This morning the White House decided it was time to take a Hiroshima style offensive tactic against the lunatics on the right and release President Obama’s birth certificate.
In 2008, in response to media inquiries, the President’s campaign requested his birth certificate from the state of Hawaii. The state sent the campaign the President’s birth certificate, the same legal documentation provided to all Hawaiians as proof of birth in state, and the campaign immediately posted it on the internet. That birth certificate can be seen here (PDF).
When any citizen born in Hawaii requests their birth certificate, they receive exactly what the President received. In fact, the document posted on the campaign website is what Hawaiians use to get a driver’s license from the state and the document recognized by the Federal Government and the courts for all legal purposes. That’s because it is the birth certificate. This is not and should not be an open question.
Sen. Al Franken is still on a rampage over the recent news of Apple iOS devices recording their users every moves and now he will be holding a hearing:
Senator Al Franken (D-MN) has stepped up his pressure on Apple CEO Steve Jobs, announcing on Monday that he will hold hearings on the recent revelation that Apple iPhones and iPads are secretly tracking and storing their users' locations.
"The same technology that has given us smartphones, tablets, and cell phones has also allowed these devices to gather extremely sensitive information about users, including detailed records of their daily movements and location," Franken, Chairman of the Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law, said in a statement posted on his website.
"This hearing is the first step in making certain that federal laws protecting consumers' privacy-particularly when it comes to mobile devices-keep pace with advances in technology," he added.
Franken said he has invited representatives from Apple and Google to attend the hearing, titled, "Protecting Mobile Privacy: Your Smartphones, Tablets, Cell Phones and Your Privacy." The hearing is scheduled for May 10.
I can’t wait to see who shows up and what they have to say. Hopefully more members of Congress, from both sides of the aisle, will get in on this.
Finally we are starting to see some new ads come out from the left exposing the Republican’s quest to destroy Medicare. The first one is coming from Americans United for Change, in which they are targeting certain Republican members of the House who are supporting the Ryan Plan. Here’s the ad, which will air in the districts of Steve King (R-IA), Sean Duffy (R-WI), Chip Cravaack (R-MN) and Paul Ryan himself:
Then the DCCC comes out with a new web ad, expanding the field. In “Broken Promises: House Republicans Vote To End Medicare”, the DCCC seizes on the Republicans shredding their “Seniors’ Bill of Rights”
Hopefully this is the start of the left showing more spine and countering the hypocrisy and ideological destruction of America the GOP is bringing down. All we need now is a larger audience for these ads – hopefully one of a national scale.
Suddenly the right is upset that the dollar has taken a big decline, but Barry Ritholtz states the facts, something the right seems unable to comprehend:
Where were all you concerned dollar bulls earlier in the decade? It strikes me that like the late-to-discover inflation, you folks cannot spot a trend until it bites you in your collective asses.
Barry even includes this handy chart to show the decline:
Sadly the ones making all the noise over the dollar’s decline are the very ones who tried to tell us that we didn’t have any problems in early 2008 – people like FOX News. Even more sad is the fact that many people will buy into that, without taking the time to look into the data themselves.
Following the explosive news yesterday of Apple mobile devices recording their users every move (for background see here and here), Senator Al Franken is upset and demanding answers from Apple CEO Steve Jobs:
Franken expressed special concern for iPhone and iPad users who are minors, writing that an "estimated 13% of the 108 million iPhones and 19 Million iPad devices sold are used by individuals under the age of 18."
Among Franken's specific questions to Jobs are:
- Why did Apple choose to initiate tracking this data in its iOS 4 operating system?
- Why were Apple consumers never affirmatively informed of the collection and retention of their location data in this manner? Why did Apple not seek affirmative consent before doing so?
TPM has Franken’s full letter. It’s great to see a member of Congress take this kind of privacy breach serious. Hopefully more will soon, but in the mean time, I suggest everyone stay clear of Apple products.
The Michigan chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has accused the MSP of using devices to extract information from the cellphones of drivers they've pulled over without the owner's knowledge, thereby violating Fourth Amendment rights. Mark Fancher, an ACLU attorney told reporters that cellphones "can contain information that many people consider to be private, to be beyond the reach of law enforcement and other government actors... There is great potential for abuse here by a police officer or state trooper who may not be monitored or supervised on the street."
These devices, the Cellbrite UFED, have been in use since before 2008. It doesn’t matter if you password protect your phone or not – it will retrieve the data in about 30 seconds. What 4th amendment?
The police aren’t the only ones you have to worry about either. Curious spouses, private investigators or anyone at all. The data is stored in your phone in very unsecure manner. Got a stalker? Great – just let him grab your phone in a bar. Now he’ll know everywhere you have been and can figure out a pattern.
All we can hopeful now is that some one in Congress will take notice and do the right thing. Steve Jobs needs subpoenaed and forced to answer about this egregious invasion of privacy. If he refuses to answer there, then it’s time for the DOJ to take action. This isn’t an issue of right or left, but rather right or wrong.